Sunday, August 21, 2011

Follow the skinny people.

I am going to first draw attention to what time it is.  Currently it is 3:50AM.  I have been awake for almost an hour.  I mentioned to my Doctor that this occasionally happens, and she said it was a very hypoglycemic tendency.  OH BOY.  That means at 3AM, my blood sugar gets so low, it wakes me up.  Yay.  Luckily this can be counter-acted by eating a high protein snack right before I go to bed that will keep me satisfied all night.  


So I'm laying in bed trying to sleep, and then I'm thinking about what time it is, and I'm already drafting this post in my head, so I finally say to heck with it, get up, I just ate some yogurt, and now I'm blogging, hopefully I'll be able to go right back to sleep afterwards.


Someone in my Weight Watchers group a few weeks ago gave a good tip.  When you go to a party, if you want to watch what you eat, follow the skinny people.  If you'll notice, they'll go to the buffet table (or wherever there's food) and look around, pick up something and WALK AWAY.  They don't stand near the table and graze.  Interesting thought.  And nifty strategy!  I'm going to try that at the next party I attend :)


I was just thinking that this is what Dave Ramsey teaches too, well not the skinny people trick.  He says to spend, invest, etc, like rich people do.  They got rich somehow, right?  Heh, very interesting parallel.  


I gained 1.8 this week, and I know exactly why.  I did not do well.  It's almost like I wanted to gain (I didn't really).  There are a couple of things (or trips through the drive-thru) that I look back at and wonder, WHY?  And what on earth possessed me to do that, order that, eat that?  It's stupid stuff too.  I go through the McDonald's drive-thru for breakfast.  I bought a whole box of lean pockets, in order to eat for breakfast!  Like really?  


When I went to see my doctor, she said I need to up the exercise, which is true.  So I have a  goal for this week.  I bought a new Pilates video.  I am going to try to do Pilates 3 mornings this week. I am also going to try to walk the majority of the evenings this week (that would be 4). TRY.  If I only get 1 or 2 in, that's better than before, and the next week, I'll aim to improve upon that.  I'm still going to aim for the 4, because if I only aim for 1 or 2, I'll hit it and go "okay, I'm done", which is counter-productive.


My other goal for this week is to track.  I'm like a broken record to myself on this one.  IT WORKS.  I can PROVE it.  Time after time after time after time.  


I don't remember if I mentioned this in a previous post, but I am going to aim to take some basic cooking classes, because as I have learned recently, I'm almost completely useless in the kitchen.  Yes, I can make a number of dishes, however, I'm very lacking in some of the basics, mostly because I wasn't interested in learning them before now.  Had I been, I might have retained more from the times I cooked, watched my parents cook when I was younger.


My doctor also told me that I need to be drinking half my body weight in water every day.  According to her scale, that would mean 100 ounces of water.  According to my scale, it's whatever half of 193 is, so I save a whopping 3.5 ounces.  When you drink 100, 3.5 pales in comparison.  I did drink 100 ounces on Wednesday, definitely.  I almost drowned!  Thursday is a maybe, and Friday, I probably got 90.  I know I didn't drink 100 ounces yesterday.  I'll do better tomorrow.  


Well, I'm going to try to go back to sleep, I'm yawning, so that's a good sign.  


Until next time,
:)

1 comment:

  1. A Pilates video - very cool, Leigh! If you'd like another video to mix things up, I've been doing Suzanne Bowen's Long and Lean Prenatal Workout DVD. It's part pilates, part strength training that also gets your heart rate up...and it's great for people who want lower impact exercize since it's made for pregnant ladies. I'll still be doing it after baby comes - it's a great full body workout and takes either 20 or 40 minutes, depending on if you do both sections.

    ReplyDelete