Thursday, August 26, 2010

Back into the daily grind

Yup, it's back. First, I'll start off at my extreme disappointment at not being physically able to leave the house for church on Sunday. Too many concerns floating around, so I stayed home. This was a major concern for me since Tuesday I was supposed to have a doctor's appointment and return to work. So Sunday night I can't sleep. Same thing Monday night, and I was stir-crazy all day. This is a good sign. It means I'm rested enough to start functioning in the real world.

Tuesday comes and I visit the doctor. They took x-rays to make sure nothing bad happened to my collarbone, gave me pictures of the inside of my shoulder which are super cool (but I left them there with all the things I was carrying and trying to make sure I took care of). He released me to go back to work and told me what ended up being my problem. It was not a bone spur. (WHAT?!?!?!) My bicep muscle where it was connected to my shoulder, was not connected properly (or not at all, I don't remember, all I know is it was painful). The thing they saw on the MRI was an anomaly, in that area, every thing's connected properly, just in a weird place. Go figure. So we went from labrum injury via symptoms, a bone spur via MRI, and bicep deformation via surgery. So they fixed it by putting an anchor to connect it properly. Prognosis? No active movement with that arm from the shoulder for around 4 weeks. Sling all the time for 4 weeks. Physical Therapy 2-3x per week for 4 weeks. I go back and see them in . . you guessed it, 4 weeks for another check up and if I'm doing well, I get to start waning off the sling.

Right now I am learning how to depend on other people and ask for help. It's counter productive to risk serious injury for the sake of independence. So I've been following doctor's orders. Not going to lie, maybe I could get used to this :)

I'm becoming very adept at typing with one hand and using a mouse/10 key pad with my left hand. My handwriting still stinks, but I don't have to do much of it and I think it will get better as my left hand gets stronger. Meanwhile, my right arm is turning to jelly. That's a problem for another day though.

This whole process has opened my eyes to see how much I take for granted ability to perform simple tasks. Think about your day for a second and how much you would have to plan/request help for things like buttering toast, or opening a water bottle. Things I didn't even think about before, but boy I think about them now! Makes me extremely happy I didn't hurt my knee. I'm thoroughly enjoying still being able to walk!

So what impact does this have on my weight loss journey? Well, my next few weigh ins are going to be interesting since I'm wearing this 1+ pound contraption and can't exercise. I feel I've not over indulged, and that's partially because I can't drive myself to trigger places. I'll not be driving my own car for some time, so my outings will be fairly restricted, which is good for me.

I'm going to finish some research on the regency period and make another attempt at sleeping.

Until next time,
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment