Friday, August 6, 2010

Alright, what did I do this time?

It's 4:30, I've been up for an hour. Not cool. And my shoulder hurts (that's probably why I'm awake). That's the end of my complaining. I found out yesterday that the reason my shoulder hurts is I have a bone spur that has cut through the cartilage and is now rubbing right up against the bone. Sound painful? Guess what, it is. So how to fix it? Surgery; on the 16th. Believe it or not, I find this as GOOD news! Everybody thinks I'm crazy, but here's why I think it's good: my greatest fear going into his office yesterday was that he was going to say I went through the MRI and they didn't find anything, and I was going to have to live with it. I am currently living with a few other things because Doctors can't find a cause, but I digress.

What does this all mean? Well starting the 16th, I will be reduced to one arm. I find this to be a very interesting conundrum. I have done some serious thought to this over the last 12 hours; paying special attention to tasks which use my right arm. For example, using the mouse, typing, dressing, buttons on pants, and on and on. It's humbling to think about such things. I am going to get to expand my skill set over the next few weeks to become more ambidextrous.

So the biggest question, is how does this relate to my post yesterday? Well this will pretty much wipe out my social calendar for a few weeks. There are some things I will be able to do, but for at least the first 10 days, I'll pretty much be confined to the house/bed and under some extreme pain medicine. How does this help/hurt my weight loss? Well, think about it. I don't know about you, but I cannot eat a burger with one hand. Not possible. A Chick-Fil-A sandwich, different. Can I eat cereal and soup with one hand? Absolutely. I think this may be God telling me (among other things) slow down a little bit, don't stop completely, but just take it a little easy. Now for the first week, I'll be stopped completely, which may not be a bad thing.

It seems very odd for me to only looking at the positives of this surgery. Yes, it's going to hurt, but it's going to help me heal in the long run, and I guess I am in a place of complaining isn't going to get me anywhere, surgery is my only option. Here's another heady realization. What if the reason I'm so "happy" about this is it will shine the light on me for a few weeks, if that short. Wow now that's a thought. I'm not generally a spotlight person, but a few times each year, I rise to the occasion (or my body does it for me). I enjoy the spotlight on my birthday and share it on Christmas (favorite holiday, even over my birthday). This summer/year, the light has really been focused on the children returning/starting college and me being home with only parents coming, well, the last one leaves the day of my surgery. In my twisted mind, it will validate me of sorts in the medical sense. Everyone always tells me, yes you have these problems, but none of them were serious for surgery etc. They're SERIOUS to ME! I made the joke last night of finally having something to put on medical forms under "major surgeries".

I guess the lesson here is that I need not worry about all the other reasons, psychological craziness, and remember that this surgery is all about making the long term pain go away and retaining full use of my shoulder. I am definitely positive on this front.

I'm going to go watch a movie :)

Until next time,
:)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Leigh. The 16th is a good day for surgery- Steve and I celebrate our 18th anniversary! Two other things you can do as well one-handed as two: read The Book, talk to the One who can remedy the less-than-sane. Remember, you're His favorite! (The Shack)
    Love,
    Aunt Michelle

    ReplyDelete