Saturday, June 19, 2010

That's all I get?!?!?!

That's how I view "dieting", which is why it doesn't work for me. And no, I'm not getting paid by Weight Watchers to say that, but it's true. I had to realize it was about the long-term; it's all about getting healthier! It's about being able to live my life to the fullest, which is why I do not hesitate to correct anyone who thinks I'm on a diet! This is not temporary; it's a lifestyle change. I want to see 80+ years old (God willing, of course), and in order to do that, I need to do my part and take care of my body! But I digress.

Back on topic: When I look at, for example, salad dressing. The serving size for most salad dressing is 2 tbsp. Then I look at the measuring spoon for a tablespoon and (after considering throwing it out the window) think That's all I get?!?!?! My salad is going to taste dry (gasp! Heaven forbid). It is an adjustment. I, for one, had my portions way out of whack.

To prove this to myself I measured. Meticulously. Everything. I had I had a salad with my lasagna for diner. My salad consisted of: 1.5 cups of lettuce, .5 cups of raw green beans (the snap ones of which I could eat a whole bag!), .5 cups of red bell peppers, and the dressing. That's a big salad, and the only thing in that with points is the dressing. Well I sprinkle the 1.5 tbsp of dressing (I don't use the whole 2) and I think okay, I can't really see the dressing, but okay, I'm going to go with it. Then I mix it up and start eating. At the end, what do I find? First, the salad was excellent! It tasted so FRESH!! I also found extra dressing in the bottom of my bowl!! I then realize: I picked the dressing because it was the lowest calorie dressing we had; I expected to suffer through it, since I do not like balsamic vinegar dressing normally. Well, guess what? I normally don't like it because I use way too much, which gives it that bitter taste! HA! It was too bitter in large amounts, but in the serving size, well I think I like it better than anything else! I'm going solve the whole blasted 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle soon before long!! :)

In an effort to prove my seriousness (to myself mostly :) ), I took my laptop upstairs when I ate each meal today and I tracked everything I ate before I ate it. What a difference!! It was actually a lot of fun!!! Instead of feeling regret for eating the way I did when I went back and looked at it, which leads to more eating and then more guilt, more eating, more guilt, so on and so on, or trying to remember what I ate and how much, I knew what I was doing before I did it! I measured the lasagna with my hands (since the serving size was in inches on the website). I also beefed up my salad with more veggies, which are filling foods and 0 points! At the end, I was full!! :) This is not going to be nearly the jailing I originally thought. Maybe that's all I needed in the beginning; a fresh look; a new perspective.

All this describing food has made me truly hungry. Dilemma. I have already used all my points for the day. I could dip into my weekly 35 (which you are encouraged to do - that's why they're there), but I feel I can get creative. So I go grab a Fiber One yogurt (and remind myself of the food commercials on the Biggest Loser) and remember that the yogurt is 0 points!!!!! No going over points and it's a filling food. WHOOP!!!

Now for a real shift of thinking: feelings confession time!

I was hesitant to blog tonight, since this will by my third post today. I have this fear, oh my goodness, if I post too many posts, these people reading will thing I'm a blog-aholic (milk-a-what? he he). Well, remember when I wrote here about if I put me first, I'm really selfish about it? Okay, well here goes the first example. This is my blog that I created for my expression of my feelings and I can post as much and as often as I like and you are allowed to not read it. Yup, I'll tell you how I really feel. :)

Of course, I enjoy knowing when you read it and what you think, but I need to remember this is my outlet. And right now, I'm doing a lot of out letting as I go through more behavior changes. :)

Now going to listen to Open House Party and wind down since I'm getting up SUPER early to run in the AM. Say it with me "I got this!!!"

Until next time,
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment