Monday, July 25, 2011

The I-40 West Test

I'm getting ready to borrow.  I've taken the Sunday's in July off from working at Christ Pres, and have been attending Brentwood Baptist.  The reason for this is I know if I attempt to attend a church at which I normally work, I'll get distracted.  And this way, I'm anonymous.    Mike Glenn preached a sermon on Sunday about Micah, and how we know better, but we don't want better.  Did that hit home this week (HA, because we're so far into this week.  It's only getting started).  


Right now, today, I want to eat EVERYTHING I see.  Even things that really shouldn't be eaten, like the washcloth my poor, sweaty hands are resting on to spare my laptop from the sweat.  I have to focus on knowing better, and it's not easy.  


Now to explain the I-40 West test.  Mike noted that he talks to young adults that are in a mess in their lives that they don't want to be, and don't know how they got there.  When they start examining their decisions, they are stunned to find out that every decision they make leads to the place in which they are.  He said that when you get on I-40 West from Nashville, you will always end up in Memphis.  There are signs the whole way.  You may not want to go to Memphis, or think you're going to Memphis, but you're going to Memphis!  


Here's how I relate.  When I start giving into emotional eating, and give in to my over active appetite, when I'm not hungry, it snowballs into undoing all the good work I've done in the last few weeks and I will end up in me gaining weight.  Every time. Every single time.  Every one!  So I know better, I have to read the signs this time, and understand that if I do give into the emotional eating, I'll end up gaining (going to Memphis).  So I am paying attention to my body's signals.  If I'm physically hungry, then I'll eat.  But if I get a craving to eat just because, I need to distract myself with something else.  Like blogging.  I don't even know if the tactic of munching on veggies will be effective, I'm in emotional training right now.  I need to train my brain that it doesn't get food if it's not hungry, not even something with 0 points!  I will chew gum faster than a chain smoker though.  It's not going to be fun, but I'm stronger than this!  I can defeat my mind!  


It's a pretty interesting sermon, check it out if you feel so lead....



July 24, 2011 | What God Wants from Brentwood Baptist Church on Vimeo.



Until next time,
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment