Thursday, July 29, 2010

Are we in a tizzy of anticipation yet?

I definitely am. I'm sure you are all on the edge of you seats waiting to find out how my doctor's appointment went today. Well I ended up having two. First, I went to see the Rheumatologist, and he referred me to an Orthopedic Surgeon (like I thought) and said Orthopedic was able to get me in an hour and a half later. Boss' decision: stay where I was. I was only going to be at the office 30 minutes max before having to leave again. So I drive over to Calypso Cafe (1.5 minutes away) and had a veggie pita. Delicious! Then I hung out at the hospital until time for my appointment. Really nice people, have to tell you. Quick and courteous, efficient. Excellent. Should be to, because this whole thing is going to cost me a fortune. I describe my symptoms, and they prescribe x-rays. They have a machine in-house, so someone comes to get me from the exam room, takes me to get x-rays and brings me back to exam room. The x-rays come out pretty quickly and the Doctor comes in and talks to me. He does some tests for motion on my shoulder (of which I have very little at this point) and determines based upon symptoms and x-rays and tests that my pain could have two causes: 1. My acromion is hooked when it shouldn't be and 2. Possible injury to Labrum cartilage.

All this adds up to one solution: MRI scheduled for Monday. We're moving forward in the direction of healing! This is good, because I ran tonight and I aggravated it MORE, so now I'm in a new kind of PAIN!

I had to step on the scale today at the Doctor and I have gained a pound. Now this may be because I had just finished a large drink from Sonic, or because it's the middle of the day, or because I've gained a pound so far this week. Not good either way. So I'm buckling down and try for a good number on the scale this Saturday before going to a beer festival Saturday afternoon. The extra 35 points I get each week that start on Saturday? Gone by Saturday night. And I'm okay with that because, well it's allowed. I will stay within my points for the remainder of the week and all will be good.

It's also been requested that I move the TV shows out to the garage from the TV room so other people can record in there (and I record at least 6 shows weekly). This will be a good opportunity for me to WALK (no more serious running until the shoulder heals) while catching up. Six shows minus the commercials equals 4.5 hours per week and if I walk at a 20 minute pace (3 miles per hour), I will accomplish over 13 miles each week. That's more than I'm doing now. More than I was doing running every day. Fascinating. This is a minimum also; I normally spot-record a few extra shows as I find them. The 6 are regulars, and recorded weekly. :)

I'm going to go take a nice HOT shower and lay down and try to get comfortable.

Until next time,
:)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leigh! I'm glad you're moving forward with getting the MRI. Stinks to need expensive procedures, but the healing will be worth it, and our Father is better at managing our money than we are. I'm saying this to help myself too - Sam just had an MRI and is in the midst of 15 spinal decompression appointments, and we're waiting to see if surgery will be the next step or if the spinal decompression will be enough. Take care, Jessica

    ReplyDelete