Friday, July 9, 2010

What is this feeling; so sudden and new?

Now; if you are familiar with the Broadway hit "Wicked" you know that the end of that phrase is "I felt the moment I laid eyes on you". That's not the direction in which I am going.

I was born in the North. I didn't move down South until I was 5 and we moved in December. Well if you've been in the South in December you know it doesn't snow. Ever. So I was a little confused. I love snow. I love cold. I am never cold. I am always hot. Until now. This past weekend, I noticed an alarming trend. I was chilly. A lot. It was weird. I had to wear a sweater! Really weird. I still enjoy the cold! I am going to look at it as a wonderful change to being hot ALL the time. Of course, I have really jinxed it because I've been warm all day. Maybe my body is secretly 50 and I'm having hot flashes. :)

It's been a long week. It went by really fast, but I veered outside my normal evening schedule, hence no blog posts between Sunday and today. I watched movies at night and the timing was weird so I'll try to sum up my week in a summary instead of a book (HA!).

I ran 4 days this week. If you recall, I made a goal to do all 4 runs in under 12 minutes, but to run the whole mile. I ran 11:58.56 (Monday), 11:29.47 (Tuesday), 11:40.81 (Wednesday), and 10:59.28 (Friday). YEAH for all week, but especially today. Under 11 minutes!! I'm thinking about getting Nike +. That's a topic for another day. :)

So for food. This week has been like the last two. Measure everything, track before I eat. It's getting a little easier and I'm getting a flow down. I'm getting a little harassed at home because it takes so long to prepare my food, but I laugh it off and ignore it. I'm doing this for ME and not for anyone else. This is all about doing what I need to do, not what someone else wishes. They just need someone to pick on. Well I have broad shoulders; I can take it.

I haven't been brave enough to go out to eat yet, but I need to because I'm starting to crave, and that's NEVER good. I'll end up over-indulging and starting a bad cycle. I would like a Sonic Blast. Maybe I'll actually use some of my weekly 35 points this week. It's just that with actually paying very close attention to what I put in my mouth, I find I am full after eating. A Sonic Blast is more like a meal anyways (13-15 points depending on mix-ins).

I had a pretty large-sized victory today. At work, we have a company lunch once a month on Friday during the summer. Outside. Friday? Really? I weigh in on Saturday morning. I can deal with it. And today I did! This month's theme was Christmas in July. Don't ask why; I don't have the slightest. So what was the menu? Turkey, stuffing, southern style green beans, mashed potatoes, brownies, chocolate cake, apple pie, pecan pie, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. The memo we all got about it was very vague about the whole list menu, but I was able to get my hands on it and calculate estimated points values for each item. I was glad I did. Stuffing - 4 points for 1/2 cup. YIKES! So I had Turkey (3 points for 3 ounces), green beans (2 points for 1/2 cup - southern style), mashed potatoes (2 points for 1/2 cup), and a brownie (3 points). That's 10 points for a buffet! SWEET! I was so proud! Especially when I saw all the apple pie (10 points) and pecan pie (12 points!!). Those are meals!! I enjoy those foods, and on Thanksgiving, I may use my weekly points for a slice of pumpkin pie (8 points) and skip the stuffing, but I choose not to indulge on those items on a regular basis. I mean really. I was given a recipe for pecan pie-like things that supposedly taste just like the real thing, but are 2 (or 3) points per serving. I'll find it and post it eventually.

We got to wear shorts today and I got several comments on how skinny I am :):):):):):):):) FABULOUS! I'm loving it! I need to go back to Goodwill and refill my wardrobe; I'm starting to run out of clothes now that it's hot outside and I'm still losing :)

After last week's numbers, I'm a little nervous about tomorrow (no big shocker there), but I know I did my best and the numbers will fall where they will. I just have to accept that. I would like a nice little loss; of more than a pound so I keep moving forward.

This week, my mom made Quiche. I love her quiche, but some of her homemade things (as good and organic as they are) sometimes the points work out to be a little bit of a surprise. For example. Tofu pie. Guess the points values. If you guessed 7, you're right. The last time she made this was a number of weeks ago, and I had been counting it as 4, and then adding whipped cream! Just another example that guessing is not the best idea. Sometimes it's necessary, but I at least need to make and educated guess, but I digress. Back to quiche. Dinner is at 6 and I get off at 5:30, so if I get off late, they start without me. This particular night, I was late. I come upstairs and they had just sat down to dinner. I saw it was quiche and inwardly groaned because the touch app doesn't have the recipe builder; that's only on the website tools (aka I needed my computer). For a moment, I considered just eating and counting later. I stood in the middle of the kitchen for what felt like forever. And then I decided. NO. I am measuring and tracking everything before I eat it. That includes quiche. I then huff and run downstairs to grab my laptop to enter the recipe into the recipe builder. It was an educated guess instead of a downright track since mom doesn't really know what's in it. Quiche - 5 points. Glad I tracked before hand. So I pretty much ended up eating alone because by the time I finally got it all tracked and measured, everyone else had already finished. Still a victory.

Tradition has dictated that Dinner is the largest meal because that is generally when Father's get home from work and Mothers make a big dinner. There are now arguments that rock that boat and say Lunch should really be the biggest meal. I worked it through and it makes sense. You don't really need all those carbohydrates/protein at Dinner because bed time is only a few hours away. You need it at lunch when you have 8 or more hours left in the day. In Europe, Dinner is more like a snack. They also have dessert first. My kind of chaps :). I have been trying this bigger lunch, smaller dinner a little this week and having a blast with it! I will have around 7 points for breakfast, around 11 for lunch and 6 for dinner (including my 2 point dessert, so really 4). Sometimes these numbers vary, but I have found when my dinner is smaller, but has more vegetables, I do not go to bed hungry or stuffed (and therefore unable to sleep). It's a revolution. And I'm enjoying it :)

Speaking of sleep, I have not taken a sleep aid since I got better from being sick, and (knock on wood) I have been sleeping through the night every night. A little odd. Maybe it's the exercise. Maybe my body finally gave in and did as I wished (I can dream!). I'm not particularly interested in why I am now able to sleep, just the fact I am now able.

I would like to take a paragraph and sincerely thank all the people who read my blog posts and then comment (either on the post/face book or in person) about a part that spoke to them individually. I cannot express in words (or hand gestures) how tickled I am when I hear these! I love knowing I am not only helping myself by expressing it in words, but I am entertaining others with my witty prose and revelations of common sense etc. I heart all my readers!

Until next time,
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment