Saturday, December 8, 2012

Something small and you could lose it all

Injuries are scary.  The threat of injury is scary.  How do you figure out of stretching is a good idea?  Don't do it and see what happens. 

I had this goal to run 3 miles today.  My knee had other plans.

I was running my speedy mile in Campus Rec, and on about lap 3, my knee started to twinge.  I thought it was just warm up pain.  Then around lap 5, it got worse, it wasn't muscle growing pain, it was legit pain, like when you run up the stairs to fast and your knee buckles.  I tried to hurry through my lap 6.5 to make a mile, and I did, but boy was that stupid.  At that point the pain had subsided, but I knew continuing running was not a good idea.  I couldn't run more than a lap at a time after that, and towards the end of my half hour workout, I couldn't even make it the full lap.   

While I was walking, after my life flashed before my eyes, I started thinking (another bad idea).  What would have happened if I had hurt my knee?  What if I did?  I'll tell you what, it's scary!  I know what injury is.  And I was scared then too.  I talk about it in this post, right before my shoulder surgery, more than two years ago. 

Injuries (or the threat of them) are depressing!  They have the ability to take all the wind out of you.  I'm not sure even if my knee hadn't been hurting if I'd been able to run the rest. 

It's just a lesson that I have to be careful.  I can't be paranoid, but I can't be stupid either.  There is some pain you can push through, like side stitches.  Joint pain is NOT one of those kinds of pain. 

In other good news though, my 1 mile run has been consistently under 10:30!

Until next time,
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment