Sunday, December 2, 2012

Consistency is a runner's best friend

I'm pretty sure I'd rather run two 12 minute miles than one 10 minute mile and one 14 minute mile, even though the pace is still the same. 

When I run, I try to use splits so I have more to go on than just the average pace.  It gives me a pace at different times of my run, and helps me with smaller goals.  Instead of "I want a faster pace", I can start small.  "I want to run that segment faster".  Work on one at a time, and eventually, the average pace will follow. 

I also try to split in the same spots - makes sense right? :).  Today, I had two 1 mile segments because apparently today I'm technologically challenged.  To give myself credit, I was RUNNING trying to push buttons.  Maybe I ought to get one of those little fancy-schmancy split watches.  WISH LIST! :) Back to my splits: one mile was 12:23 and the other 12:24.  Um, yes, please.  This is especially awesome because my overall pace was 12:18 :).  Yesterday, I ran a .31 segment in 3:45, today 3:47.  Sweet.  Yesterday .43 in 5:05, today 5:06.  Woot! 

As my times become faster, the over times will go down, and not be the same day to day, but it's nice to see that for now; and it's always nice to see consistency inside a run.  :)

Until next time,
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment