Friday, November 30, 2012

Having an audience does wonders for one’s running performance

I find the title to be somewhat self-explanatory, but for the sake of …well I like to talk to I'll explain it anyways :). 

Yesterday, I decided to run on campus instead of in my parking lot.  So I got dressed, planned my route online (www.mapmyfitness.com), and drove to campus.  And ran an 11:28 minute mile.  Uh, that would be a pace that is 45 seconds FASTER than my fastest time to date.  TO DATE.  That’s all of them.  ALL.  Every.  You get it :) 45 seconds!  Okay, now I’m done. 
I was performing for an audience.  Take driving.  Never mind, I should stay away from driving :).  You get the idea though.  

I have come to a turning point if you will.  I am choosing to eat healthier, to listen to the signals my body sends me.  It’s quite fascinating really.  I have green beans.  I choose to eat all of them instead of just half.  I’ve had chocolate in my apartment for weeks.  Ice cream?  Not interested.  Munching.  No longer a problem.  Thanksgiving.  Didn’t overeat.  I’m not sure what happened, but I’m not messing with it.  Maybe it's because I don't watch TV anymore.  That's mostly because I don't have time.  No, this would not be a "you don't make time" instance.  I quite literally do not HAVE time. 
I don’t know what my total weight loss is.  I couldn’t tell you how much I weigh.  All I know is in the month of November I lost 5 pounds.  3 of the 4 weeks were losses, and I maintained (true maintain) one week.  That’s all I know.  I’m not focusing on the big picture long term goal weight almost a year down the road.  I’m focusing on right now.  Today.  Tomorrow.  This week.  That’s it.  That’s all the brain power I can allocate anyways.  Lose weight daily.  Exercise regularly.  Make choices.  Sit in a bouncy desk chair :).  (Just thought I'd throw that one in for fun).  Last night, I actually only bought the items on my list at the grocery store.  I didn’t even think it was possible. 
I think sometimes we try to equate “healthy” with “complicated”.  It doesn’t have to be, but you have to WANT it.  It's not a diet.  It's a life style change. 

Until next time,
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment